Welcome to Amfilochia!
Amphilochia is the capital of the Baltic Sea, built at the southern tip of the Amvrak Gulf, about 80 km from Messolonghi. Its houses spread amphitheatrically on the slopes of two hills leading to a natural harbor with a beautiful beach. Its characteristic is the rare phenomenon of phosphorus in the calm waters of the Ambrakian Gulf, which attracts many visitors to Greece.
The city was founded in the late 18th to early 19th centuries. by Ali Pasha under the name of Karvasaras. In 1907 it was renamed Amphilochia, from the ancient Amphilochic Argos, a colony of the Argeos, whose ruins are located at the site of Kenourgio, 10 km north.
Visit the fortress at the top of the hill, where ruins of the ancient city of Limnaia and the Byzantine church of Agios Athanasios are preserved.
You will swim in the organized beach of Agios Georgios and Boukas where the monastery of Agios Nikolaos is located. One hundred and fifty meters from the shore and one hundred and four meters deep there is an underwater volcano, last activated in 1847 and 1865. Camping at Katakourfo beach.
At the end of July, the municipality’s cultural events, the “Panakarnania”, which last one week, are organized. Also, from 3 to 10 October, the annual trade fair is held.