Welcome to North Corfu!
Capital of the island and one of the most beautiful cities in Greece. Walking through the Venetian cantons of the old city, known as Xopoli or Campiel, with Italian architecture houses, English mansions, luggage sprawled over his head, he feels he is in a movie setting or better yet in another era.
To the east is the Old Fortress, which you bridge with the city and on its double peaks you have the name Corfu. Inside it is the church of Agios Georgios, one of the most beautiful churches in Corfu. The New Fortress, completed in 1645, is located on St. Mark’s Hill. Opposite the Old Fortress is Spianada, the center of city life, with Liston, a noble Venetian area, a meeting place for locals and visitors today.
Corfu has many churches, monuments worth visiting, among them the church of Saint Spyridon’s patron saint (1589), where the sacred scene of the Saint is kept, the island’s Cathedral, Panagia Spiliotissa (16th century) where they are kept. of the Empress Theodora and the Monastery of Platytera in Mantouki, where the tombs of Ioannis Kapodistrias and Fotis Tzavela are found.
Also visit the Museum of Dionysus Solomos, with his personal belongings, housed in the house where he lived in recent years and the Serbian Home. 4 km south of the city is Kanoni, one of the most popular areas of the island. At the front lies the Halikiopoulou lagoon and the air route and opposite the lush Pontikonisi, a trademark of Corfu, with the Byzantine chapel of Pantocrator (13th century). A concrete path below Kanoni connects the land with the monastery of Vlacherena (17th century).
Baths in the city are provided by the organized beaches of Mon Repo, the baths of Alekos and the small beach of the Nautical Club which has water sports equipment.
As far as entertainment is concerned, Corfu has nothing to envy the big capitals. In addition, very careful work is being performed at the Municipal Theater, and in the summer at the Spianada kiosk the philharmonic and the famous choirs of the island are often featured.